Monday, October 15, 2007

Review: Stardust

With more imagination in five minutes than J.K. managed to give Harry Potter in the entire series this film is just a wonderful tale.

It tugs the heart-strings in the right places without ever becoming mawkish, it has thrilling fight scenes often done in ways you'd not expect to see them. It has modern morality right in amongst the fairy-tale elements and they all blend pretty-well seamlessly. The acting is excellent, the effects dramatic and the scripting sharp and witty.

See it.

Are there no problems for me to gripe about?

Of course there are!

Some of the digital backgrounds are piss-poor. The just don't blend well with the action and it looks like someone went far too heavily on the 'add noise' button in the editor. Ricky Gervais is every bit as tedious as he was at the Diana concert and having two in-jokes which were about as unsubtle as the man himself within the time his three minute first scene took was pathetically self-indulgent. I wonder who wrote them in?

That brings me to another gripe. To listen to many of the comments made about this film you'd think that Jane Goldman gave birth to it herself rather than doing (an admittedly excellent job of) the screenplay. It's a Neil Gaiman story and his imagination knows no bounds. I've not read Stardust but I shall certainly have a look. I have heard quite a lot of negativity about it, though. I'll let you know my totally unhumble opinion.

No comments: