Thursday, November 01, 2007

Passport incompetence

My passport's up for renewal and, as I'm off to Kyiv just before the baby's due, it had to be done early enough to sort out visas for a side-trip to Chernobyl. (I thought that glowing in the dark might make it easier for baby to recognise Daddy). So, rather than pay the post office to look at my form and send it in, I did it all myself. After all, it's only a renewal and there was little to do on the form. Before you go down that train of thought, I haven't got it wrong, but my passport is still not renewed after over two months and I got another call from them this morning telling me it still hasn't begun processing.

The first couple of times I didn't know why here was a hold up other than that they said my cheque was 'invalid'. I called after the first letter to ask why and was told that they couldn't say why, just that it had been rejected. So I wrote another and got the same response. This time I got a call from a manager telling me that it had been rejected because I had written it in Gaelic. The manager was rather apologetic as, she admitted, there was no legitimate reason to reject a cheque presented in this fashion. However, since they had rejected this one also could I please provide another? Since the postal strike was on I went into the office, suffered the near-strip-search they subject people to these days and stuck it - clearly marked with their own 'urgent' label into the box and left.

I got another call from the manager this morning asking why I hadn't sent them another cheque.

Not only that, but it turns out they still have my first cheque, haven't done anything to begin processing my passport. Why? Because they were waiting for the cheque.

At the moment the manager is 'trying' to get the original cheque onto the system, but this may not be possible as they have cancelled it. Surely I'm the only one who can cancel my cheques? Not only that, but why do they still have a cheque of mine which they rejected? It should have either been returned or destroyed.

Incompetent, careless, useless, time-serving, jobsworth prats.

No comments: