Tuesday, August 07, 2007

It's So Funny Why We Don't Talk Any More

No, not a post about the cheesy Cliff Richards song, but about how my PDAs won't play nice.

My X50v started playing up a while back. It says it has sync'ed, I can install files and software, but Outlook information and Pocket Quicken stuff have stopped crossing the USB divide. The logs say they've done their job, but there's nothing being shared. Now, I reckon this was caused by me trying out Intellisync in a wasted attempt to get an online calendar talking to the PDA. Neither Google calendars or Yahoo! seem to have a sensible option so both were abandoned. Since reverting to Activesync 3.8 (AS) I've had all these troubles.

I then finally won an auction for a new X51v and thought that, since I knew I was going to have to upgrade to AS 4.5 that I'd just wait until it arrived. I had hoped that the new version of AS would solve the sync problem, but it hasn't. The 50v is still suffering the same troubles. The 51v has a load of its own!

It won't sync through my copy of Zonealarm free edition. (The 50 still does, oddly enough). I tried following the fix for it, but it refers to using settings not available in the free edition. With the firewall off it does seem to be sync'ing, but it's doing really odd things with some of my programmes.

Pocket Informant 5.2.1.0093 will not show any data, even though the appointments are on the machine. It also refuses to run Options, with the screen beginning to show then vanishing.

SPB's Powerlevel either vanishes completely or is unable to run several features the 50v can run. Like BT & IR business card sending. I think these are down to WM5 just being designed for phone edition machines, really and a lot of useful PDA-type stuff is gone; especially the 'New' button. So, I don't think I need any help with that.

But if anyone can advise me on how to get the sync working right with these machines I'd be eternally grateful.

Oh yeah! As if that wasn't enough, Firefox seems to be incompatible with the updater utility for flashing the ROM. Since it won't offer a choice to 'run from this location' as required. I need to figure out how to get the programme to run the updater without choosing Firefox to view its HTML.

If I had any hair I'd be tearing it out!

No comments: